Monday, August 25, 2014
Waaaay back when I first got into the miniatures hobby, I purchased the Houseworks street of shops small shop. I always loved the brick and stucco exterior of their promo photos. I have had it tucked away for years in it's box, taking it out occasionally to start, make changes and then put away. For some reason on Saturday, I pulled it out and thought, yep, I am going to just put this baby together. It was partially painted when I pulled it out of the box - the trim which is now timber was green and the door was pink. So between Sunday and Monday, I have got it this far.
I am really happy with the exterior. The only thing I'm not sure about is the front door. I like it, but should it be blue to match the pediment? (Which, for the record, is a much less intense blue than it looks in the photo) I am thinking that a sign and other details will add some more blue.
My other question is, do I grunge up the interior just a tiny bit? It looks so pretty as it is, but this is supposed to be an older shop. I just don't want to ruin it. I will do the cabinets in the style of Lilli-ann Hamilton, if you've seen her stuff. It is much like June Clinkscales' work, gently aged, antique patina, soft. Therefore, the walls may look too stark against the furniture.
The door and window will have curtains over them when I get them done. I think I made the door too tall, so a curtain will hide it a little.
Thanks for the advice and have a great week!
Thursday, August 21, 2014
Which has absolutely nothing to do with this post, other than it allowed enough light to take some photos after a good week of bad weather.
I have almost finished the main bedroom of my Mountfield. I have the ceiling light and just need to attach it, and poke the bedside lamp wires through the wall to the back. Then add some accessories. The little books on the nightstand are from Lisa Engler, whose beautiful kits I purchased recently.
The music room is about done, and I thought I had a ceiling light, but perhaps I didn't as I can't find it. Still needs a few accessories as per my standard. I painted those mulberry paper gypsophila flowers and stuck them to the top of the green urn that you can see on the table against the back wall. Really happy with how they turned out. And the chairs need cushions but can't decide on a fabric.
The entry is almost done, save for the stair bannister, which I have to cut and don't want to ruin, so I am putting that off!
You can see the leadlight door into the living room here:
I am having a few issues with the frront bedroom. I don't love the colour of the armoire and struggling with placement of pictures. I am thinking that I'll put up shelves/a shadowbox for some interest. Here is the dresser in progress, which i am quite pleased with so far. The colours are looking good. You can just see the rug on the floor, and the little square plate, which I purchased from A Lavendar Dilly's Etsy store. Very sweet and match beautifully.
Here is a shot of the bed with a rose painting above. I made the bedcover with one of those paper linen-like napkins, which has a nice embossed pattern. I love the soft light in this photo.
I really need to put in a solid day or two tidying up a few things in this house, finishing the electrical etc. It is so close to being done (structurally anyway, with just some furniture and accessories to go in as I find them). I have done a lot to the exterior as well, and just waiting on a few supplies to finish that off too.
On other dollhouse news, I have started the construction of my French chateau at long last. I hope to get a bit further with it's construction soon so that you can see the direction I am (finally) headed. Hope you all have a fantastic weekend. Take care!