Translate

Saturday, October 21, 2017

Little bits

Hi all. After a busy year, I have finally had some proper weekend time to get some things done on my mini houses and the real house. First thing I want to show you is a sweet little cushion my friend made me, sitting on the armchair at the back. The doggy looks just like my Tilly dog, although my little girl had black and brown on her head and spots on her back. It is beautifully made and the stitches very fine. I adore it.

,



Next is the fireplace in the cafe of the Coxwolds store. My husband and I had a week in Tasmania, as I attended the Australian Miniature Enthusiasts’ convention (I actually taught a workshop, which is a whole different story altogether!) and it confirmed something I had been suspecting for a good long while - that the little shop could have been a colonial building in Hobart. So that is where I have decided it will be set. I came home from Tasmania with quite a few goodies and many of them will go in this house.

 

I wanted a rustic, cosy cafe and decided that the occupant stripped off the old plaster and paint on the chimney breast, exposing the brick underneath. I just used textured brick paper (that World Model stuff) and smudged on bitsbof cream paint. I think it worked ok but is a little patchy. Maybe a bit more paint would be better. I figured it would be mostly covered by a painting, mirror or sign, so will see how it looks with accessories first.

And lastly (and quickly, this is the sitting room of my Coxwolds. Things have kind of just been put here, and I realised I love them. I couldn’t decide on a table/sideboard/cabinet for the space next to the fireplace and just put this half painted wire table because I found it in the stash. I think it might be perfect (when it is finished). You can see a Margaret Crosswell ceramic bust and an Art of Mini hatbox (from a kit) on the fireplace. The table has a Veronique Lux birdcage (which I’ve shown before in my post about awesome stuff my mum and sister got at Kensington fair this year) and a basket from an Etsy seller. Can’t remember her name but she was recently featured in one of the mini magazines. I love it all together.


Augh, I have to finish this post now as Blogger IS SO APPALLING ON THE IPAD AND THEY HAVEN’T UPDATED THEIR APP. Sigh. Hope your weekend was good! (Better than Blogger anyway) 

14 comments:

  1. That pillow is so sweet. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I will pass on your compliment to my friend!

      Delete
  2. It looks cosy and comfortable. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful items! That cushion is adorable.

    I feel the Blogger app pain. I gave up on the iPad. It’s beyond terrible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When will they admit ipads are here to stay and move with the times?? And thanks, will tell my friend you love her cushion!

      Delete
  4. Oooh.. lovely little things here! I love that little cushion! So sweet! And the Birdcage is fantastic. :D
    I'm really interested to here how Tassie went. I would have liked to go but ugh, work.. and I probably need to join first.. haha..
    I think the fireplace is gorgeous and the paper has worked out quite well. I think we worry about these things too much and you are right that once accessorised the things we think look a bit off, disappear. :) Looking forward to seeing more of this cafe and hearing about your workshop! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sam. Tassie was good. I didn’t know what to expect but it was fun with some really great and interesting people. I didn’t do all the things they had planned as my husband was with me and we wanted to see a bit of Hobart whilst we were there, but next time I think I would do the things. I won’t teach such an intense workshop again though! Haha! And yes, you need to join to attend, but it’s not a lot. The NZ one looked really good last year - some very talented people in NZ.

      Anyway, hopefully blogger will get their act together soon and I can post some more updates on the Coxwolds and Duddingwells. X

      Delete
  5. Love your pillow and that fireplace looks wonderful!

    Glad you had a good time at your shows. How did your class go? Will you tell us later?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheila. Thanks for the compliments! I will pass it on to my dear friend. The class was hard - I might do a post on that if/when blogger is less painful! Xx

      Delete
  6. How beautiful rooms and the cushion is tiny miracle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Riitta! And the cushion really is beautiful. I should also show the back, as she stiched her initials beautifully.

      Delete
  7. Hi Shannon, The addition of the needlepoint cushion is Perfect and you have given it a comfy chair to rest on so that it can be easily appreciated. :D
    I think that the chimney-brest with the exposed brick is charming and I like the French chair grouped with the English style fireplace and the casual wire table, they all look very good together especially with the show-stopping birdcage and the faded french hat boxes- everything about this little little corner looks quite Inviting! :D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth. Doesn’t the cushion match perfectly? I love it. I just need to find a different wallpaper now for here. And thanks for the compliment about my little Coxwolds grouping. A bit of work left on this house, but it is coming along nicely. I have spent way too many hours working on a roombox for a friend, which I will show when it is finished. I am looking forward to it being finished so I can move on with my Mountfield and Coxwolds. Xx

      Delete