Friday, January 20, 2017
I decided finally to bite the bullet and start the Mountfield bathroom relocation. It has so far been pretty quick and painless, although whatever glue I used to stick the bathroom sink and toilet down with was dynamite to remove. I haven't removed the wallpaper in the new bathroom as most of it will have tile covering it and whatever isn't covered will just be painted or repapered.
I can't decide on layout as it is a large and sort of awkward shape. I want to build the bath into an alcove and have an enclosed shower, like this from a vintage apartment above a shop I visited a few years ago:
So this layout would work best (shower at front right) but it makes the toilet/sink space a bit squishy:
What are your thoughts? Would like some opinions please.
No real progress on the Coxwolds as I am still waiting on an order for architrave and skirting which I placed in November....
I have made a wall cabinet for the shop, but my foamcore wall (wallpapered on the right) has warped, so I need to somehow straighten it. And that is all the wallpaper I have so can't replace the wall.
Tuesday, November 22, 2016
I have been stressing quite a bit about this workshop prototype and workshop in general. I had to have it finished earlier than anticipated so didn't have time for a trial run with a group. I wanted a 1-day workshop, but there is too much to do, so 2-days it will have to be. I struggle with pricing so not sure where to go with that. A couple of small details got dropped off along the way due to running out of time. I think one or two details could be changed, but they are very minor and I will see about that later. It's not quite how I was picturing it, but I am pretty happy still - I anticipated it being more rustic, but it turned out a little fancy! Never mind. Hindsight is a wonderful thing....
Tuesday, November 1, 2016
Hi all. We had a public holiday here yesterday (Tuesday) and with going to Ballarat last weekend and my husband taking Monday off as well, I am out of whack for the week. So it seems like Monday but is actually Wednesday.
I have made a bit of progress with the Coxwolds. The living quarters are almost done, which leaves the kitchen and shop downstairs. I have grand plans of having this finished by end of the year (in the sense of having rooms and exterior decoration complete; furniture/accessories/garden won't be complete of course!).
Here is the entry almost done:
(I didn't buy any floor tiles for here, and found some burgandy tiles in my stash which matched, but I didn't have enough. Originally I thought of having a built-in vanity or cupboard so I could omit tiles underneath it - I REALLY wanted the cupboard, but the room is so small it was too awkward. Then I thought of having a gap where I'd put a rug. Then, I thought given I had some of the same tiles in green and yellow, I could paint them black and use as a border tile. It worked out OK I think)
The living room (NEEDS gap filling!!):
I didn't use the hinges supplied with the kit as I didn't want them all over my pretty walls, so used smaller ones. Unfortunately they don't quite shut properly. I may remove them and cut out a larger rebate to accommodate the screw heads or maybe try to screw the screws further into the wood. Either way it needs looking at.
Hope everyone's week is going well.
Saturday, October 22, 2016
A quick Saturday night hello. I have been painting these little ladies this week. I have since drilled the holes for arms and legs to be joined. Now they just need dressing and hair on some. Also need to figure out how to assemble the parion dolls - might need to do some googling. Hope your weekend is going OK.
Friday, September 30, 2016
Well, it took 3 coats of ivory to cover all the blue trim (and four for the door!) but I am happy with how it has come out.
Now all I need to do is get the pastels out and age some bits of the wallpaper and the shelf wallpaper and I can stick the units in. They will need hardware, as I don't think I'll use what came with it. The counter (which I don't have) will be pink to match the back wall with the door in it. And debating installing a little fireplace on the left wall. I might try making a valance or something for the window tonight seeing as I am on a roll!
It is amazing how many different iterations this little shop has had and never been finished. But I guess if you just keep painting, you will eventually get something you like! PS - I think it also needs a painted footpath out the front as it currently looks terrible!! (Yes I used it as a paint palette)
Happy Saturday everyone! We had a public holiday yesterday (for football no less!) and so I got my doll shop out and finished off the shelf unit I started then painted everything blue. I was going for a more blue-grey, and lighter than it is. I tried aging and toning it down, but it is still too blue. I am not a big blue fan. I conferred with a friend and she is recommending green. I am now going to try green. Will try to post the results later. Wish me luck!
(You can see I ripped out some shelves. I will likely paper the back of the shelves)
Monday, August 8, 2016
Hi everyone. A little thankyou to those who posted kind and thoughtful comments on my last post. I haven't thanked you or commented individually I'm sorry, but it means so much to me that you did comment. It is hard to adjust to life without someone so dear but we are getting there. It's just pretty lonely!
On to other matters, my sister and I attended the Adelaide miniature show last weekend which was fun. Adelaide is a nice city and we saw some lovely houses on our drive to and from the show venue. Many of them weren't old but new made to look old. I was pretty impressed with the standard actually - nothing much like it in Victoria unfortunately.