Translate

Saturday, May 25, 2019

This blogger did a bad, bad thing

So. I have never loved the outside of my Lea style French house/shop so it never really got finished. I had considered starting again, making a new shell and cutting some of the rooms out and transferring them to the new house (as complete units like boomboxes). But I knew this was going to be a lot of work and largely I liked the French house. So I decided to renovate. I also wasn't going to start renos until I had finished some other projects, but I couldn't help myself and spent some time pulling the roof/upper floor off and then decided I'd finish the demo in order to only have to clean up once, so then cut new stair holes and pulled off the exterior finish and interior trims and so on... This is pretty much how it looks now, although at this stage, renos on the kitchen were done:

I removed the stairs from the kitchen and added beadboard to that wall. I also made shelves for that wall and enlarged the kitchen table. So the kitchen is basically done. I am not furnishing/accessorising until renos are done, as there will be lots more construction to do.



You can see where I patched the ceiling. It's not fantastic, but there are going to be scars in this build where I have altered stuff. I like the idea of it. Old houses such as this would've had changes over its lifetime and patch-ups.

I also painted the plumbing in the bathroom but the paint was flicky so little dots flew everywhere and the walls will need a little touching up. I am stewing over that for a bit. 


I also need to add the shower curtain and some more homey details. I wish I could paint the floor but it would be nigh on impossible with it glued in and I couldn't remove it without destroying it and having to replace it. For now it will remain. It has at least yellowed evenly.

And some progress on the Cotswolds: I have painted the exterior finish. Probably needs a few more washes for a little more variation but I am happy with it. I have added plastic to the bow windows but I don't like that so much. I am not sure I can really fix it to be happy with it though (due to the way the window itself is constructed).


I am also amazed that putting the first coat of paint over the footpath made such a difference to the appearance. It has a long way to go though. I found an early Australian mail box, which you can just see on the left. It was more South Australian than Tasmanian (which is were I am setting this house) but I am OK with that. Really, how different could they have been?? I got it for $2 at the recent Sydney Miniatures Fair.

And I managed to get a pretty good colour on the shop cabinets. It's probably a little darker in real life, so looks very close to the chairs. Now I need to add a little shine. And will likely add some paper to the interior bases and shelves and a solid top. I should really have disguised the joins as well, so it looks like one unit. And yes, the walls are still blue. I think I will wait until accessories are added before I do anything with them. It might give me some direction.



So that is where I am at with these projects. It has been quite rewarding. 

Oh and before signing off, I have discovered why I can't always comment on your blogs. Apparently there is a privacy setting on iPads (Safari web browser) that needs to be switched off in order to not have this problem. At least I think that is the problem. It is so Google and the like can follow what websites you visit and link them to your profile and I am not sure that is something I want. But anyway, if you too are having the same problem this may help you out. Have a good week everyone. xx

22 comments:

  1. I like it so far! I feel like that sometimes, just starting over. And then I get stubborn and decide I'm going to make something work no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheila. Thanks! And yes, if it just isn’t right then I probably won’t finish it. And I do like the challenge of making something work! X

      Delete
  2. Good Grief Shannon ... you went wild!
    I can tell you will make the French House your own .... it will need a new name ...
    Keep up the good work!
    Janine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janine. Yes I did get a little carried away! And I hadn’t thought of it needing a new name - good point! Will work on that. Xx

      Delete
  3. Genial , has logrado un aspecto fantástico con el cambio y como dices es bueno que se vea el paso del tiempo.Feliz semana:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosamaria. Glad you like! And a little history is good! I don’t want to change the essence of this house but just fix some things that were annoying me. Xx

      Delete
  4. Hi Shannon! It is so great to see these wonderful projects getting renos and refreshes! I love the more open look in the kitchen and love seeing little hints of past construction!
    The bathroom plumbing looks great to me, and I love the shading you've achieved on the walls. The flooring looks to me like a perfectly aged one and fits beautifully with the house.
    I like the stain on the counter at Coxwald's and am happy that you are moving forward on the project. I suspect that the more you do, the more the direction will become clear. Have fun, and just know that you are supremely talented and whatever you do will be really neat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jodi. Thanks so much. I too don’t hate the floor but I wonder if it will get worse in a few years. I guess I will cross that bridge when I come to it. And I liked the walls in most of this house so have left what I could. And as for the Coxwolds, yes you are right - getting some more things finished helps with providing direction. I painted the sofa for the loungeroom which helped but I think I won’t use it now. I have another idea - if I can now just find something suitable! But onwards and upwards! It’s progress. And thanks for the lovely compliment - it is very sweet of you. It really is great to have the encouragement every now and then. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Si un trabajo no te satisface,hay que intentar cambiarlo! Por lo que me parecen geniales los cambios que has efectuado en la casa,seguro que encontrarás la manera de hacerla totalmente tuya!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Pilar! I loved it but not enough to be really happy with it. And it is easier when all the furniture and accessories are done and will just need putting back. Xx

      Delete
  7. I love it that you accept the wear on the house as with a real house. I am making wear and tear on mine to reflect what it would be like full of kids and dogs ! Love your stone frontage ! huggs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mrs M. I need to just patch some things in order to save myself some work too, otherwise I’d be resurfacing and repainting everything, and I don’t want to do that! I must go follow your blog so I can keep up with what you’re doing! X

      Delete
  8. I have some old dollhouses in my garage which I have been wanting to renovate for the longest time and I am thrilled to see that you have decided to do the same on your 'Lea' house. Your current room renos are looking and feeling open and inviting!
    Your Bad, bad thing- is proving to be Very Very Good! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth! I hope I inspire you a little bit to start thinking about those poor old dollhouses! I do enjoy a challenge, and turning something already in existence into something more fitting of my ideals is what makes it fun. I will just need to fake a leaf out of your book and practice exterior finishes til I get something I like! Xx

      Delete
  9. Oh well done! Sometimes one should just rip it all up and make a few changes. After all, if we could afford it, we would do it to our own homes without guilt.
    I laughed at your comment about flicky paint - now I know what to call it when it goes wherever I don't want it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Megan! And yes, it is a challenge for ourselves and keeps these things interesting right? And glad to help you out with some terminology! The paint is a metal one and thinner than a craft paint so little dots everywhere. Perhaps I will chalk it up to mini every day wear and tear? Xx

      Delete
  10. If it's not right, you'd never be happy with it. Far better to strip out and start afresh. A couple of great projects there to get your teeth into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Irene. Agreed. And I think that’s just why I never quite finished it. And parts of it I love so didn’t want to completely destroy it all! Hope your projects are going well.

      Delete
  11. Sorry Im so late, Shannon
    I loved all your pictures and updates. I'm currently in the middle of demolishing half of my current project and it was nowhere near completed! I'm not sure if it's because I have a lack of patience or commitment issues! lol I agree with you when you say it's a nice "honest" feature of older houses when you can see the scares of previous owners and chart it's history.
    Hope you are well
    Simon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Simon, great to see you! I love your new build and can’t wait for more progress reports. I love the challenge of taking something existing (like my French house or a manufactured kit) and changing it and making it what you want. I fear you might be similar to me - a lot of the fun of miniatures is the planning!!

      Delete
  12. im even later than Simon if you can believe it, I love your French house I cant wait to see what you do to the top floors.

    hope you've been busy

    Hugs
    Marisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marisa. Thank you! And me neither! Haha! I am so frustrated with the stairs right now I think I will move onto the top floor and work on the stairs another day. X

      Delete