Translate

Friday, September 27, 2019

Crisis averted!

Hi all. So I made the decision to just go forth in wild abandon on my chateau and then spackle as needed. I have a vague plan. Make the front and side opening panels, attach them (one with magnets and one with hinges), get some of the trim pieces attached, undercoat, continue putting the detail trim pieces on and then see where we are at. I have started the front opening panel and decided it was just too heavy. I really should've made it in two, rather than one, but it is too late to change that now unless I waste a heap of gatorfoam and the time it took to cut the window openings. The upside is having to recut the sides means I can disguise the presence of the hinge a little. I also need windows. I have a heap of mould making silicone and 2 part resin, so I might try making one and casting it. In the past, I found mould making the easy part. Getting the resin right and bubble free is another thing entirely. Anyway, worth a shot. 

I also made some important discoveries whilst tidying up the chateau mess - I had forgotten that I had partially constructed cornice moulding for the salon and had purchased two Alison Davies ceiling roses. Derr. But I am further ahead than I had realised. Yay! So the salon is getting very close to being done. It is amazing how much time goes into fiddling with the last few little bits, much of which can't even be seen. 

And the stairs for the French shop reno are partially done. I got some parts to make the balustrade but will need to pin lots of wood parts together to make them, which will be tedious. You can see the stair shape in the photo; just need to cut the risers and treads for the bottom steps and glue everything together. But for now I want to focus on the chateau.



In other news, the Coxwolds is almost done. The landscaping needs finishing (I might get some flower/plant kits) and it needs shop signs and downpipes. I also need to connect the individual lighting wires to the thingo that the transformer connects to. For the record, only one light isn’t working. Pretty impressive huh? I also have a spare wire that doesn’t seem to be connected to anything. I suspect it may be a spare wire as initially I planned on having three lights over the shop counter but ended up with just one, and I think I hadn’t removed one of the two wires that weren’t needed. The house has now been moved out to the pool house in the back yard with the Mountfield. I now need to start working on furniture placement and finding accessories. Oh and a bathroom sink.


Here is the Coxwolds in the backyard having its roof painted.


And these photos are as it is in its current almost finished state, out in the backyard cottage:


I actually made a corner piece of painted MDF to sit on the pavement on the far left of the above photo but forgot to place it for the photo. Photo below shows the sitting room where the stairs come up and the kitchen with the corner pavement piece on the floor.



Landscaping to be finished. I think it needs some pots and stuff out front too.


I made a little shower screen like my grandmother had in her home.




Sorry the photos are a bit lopsided, but it was up against the side wall so I struggled to get a good angle for the photos!

So now it is afternoon and I am tired and think I will call it quits for the day. Have a great weekend everyone. I hope to show photos of the chateau salon soon!

12 comments:

  1. I love the side openings it makes so much sense ! Something I should have considered on my build !! thank you ! huggsss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Side openings are great. But I wish I was better at hinging and the like! Still, I guess I learn something new all the time. Xx

      Delete
  2. It seems like all the ideas are flowing again, Shannon, and I love the solutions you are coming up with! The stairs are going to be fabulous, and I am amazed at how you got that shower screen so perfectly level and straight on the back wall! Great job! Can't wait for the next post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jodi. Currently making more forwards movement than backwards but was a bit too tired to get too much done this weekend. I really want to get those last few jobs finished for the Coxwolds, so need to persevere. Hope you had a good weekend. X

      Delete
  3. I love it! It looks just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! I will try to get organised and start furnishing so I can post about that next.

      Delete
  4. The stairs are beautiful, as is that bathroom with the totally cool shower screen. I have never seen anything like it. How exciting to see more progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deborah. My Nana’s shower screen actually had another panel hinged to the end that extended the width of the screen but folded out of the way for getting in and out, but I didn’t bother with that. I lack patience for such things! Her bathroom was probably built in the 50s I think.

      Delete
  5. Hi Shannon! I think you have made tons of progress! Sometimes it feels like you are going in circles... but then suddenly things come together and work! Coxwolds is looking very fine! I look forward to seeing more furnishing in time. (No hurry!) And I am eager to see more of the Chateau... I am not sure I have seen much of it so far! Keep up the great work! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betsy. Thanks for the vote of confidence! I am pretty happy with the exterior, but need some more outdoors stuff - some plants, maybe a sandwich board. Some things to add character. And I need soooo many accessories for inside!! And the chateau goes waaaay back. I really need to get moving on it. Take care and enjoy the rest of your week. X

      Delete
  6. Loving the Coxwold and that bathroom. It's a lovely property and the bay windows add real interest to the front. Lots of possibilities there. Looking forward to seeing more of your Chateau too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Irene. The Sid Cook kits are so lovely. I hadn’t thought about how I will decorate the bay windows! I have been a little lost on furniture arrangement and colours and accessories for the rest of it, so the bay windows weren’t even considered. I will have to have a big accessory-making weekend! And yes, I hope the chateau progresses a bit more too before the year’s end. X

      Delete