Sunday, May 15, 2016

Dollhouse dilemmas

Hello all. Another week started - where are they going??

I had the chance to work on some of my 1:12 projects over the weekend but didn't make a lot of progress. As per this post's title, I am a bit undecisive about a few projects:

1. I haven't worked on my French chateau much as I am contemplating either pulling it down and remaking it from gatorfoam, or having the back, sides and floor laser cut in 6mm ply. The reason being I am worried about strength and rigidity in such a large structure. I dread the thought of having to recut the windows in gatorfoam, but it would be the lighter option than ply (even light ply). Still, I'm not going to be carrying this baby around, am I? I suppose the other options is making it in roomboxes. But then you have the issue of joining them seamlessly.

2. I really want to relocate the Mountfield bathroom into the music room at the back of the house, maybe then putting the piano into the dining room. But it's about finished. Not sure about ripping two rooms apart and having to redo them. Here is a photo of the front as it is and some of the bathroom about done (with a little room left for some choice minis as I find them!):





And the front entry:


3. I put many of my painted metal minis into the 1:12 doll shop and I don't like the paleness of the room with the toys. So this isn't much of a dilemma anymore, as I tore it all apart at the weekend.....


Chaos and devestation. By yesterday afternoon, this is how it looked:


The alcove/door bit is just foamcore. It needs to be painted. Next step is to make a shelf unit to match the one on the right and then paint all of the timber/trim in a pale grey-turquoise-green colour. Or something. I spent a lot of time looking at Veronique Lux vignettes and thought I'd try something along those lines. I think I'll try colouring the wallpaper too, maybe a teabag stain. I probably shouldn't have stuck all the trim back in, but I couldn't help myself. I think I just like to make things hard for myself.

If you have any golden nuggets of wisdom to help me with my dilemmas, I'd love to hear them. Have a great week everyone.


10 comments:

  1. I do like the brickwork on the front of this house and my word, you certainly went for it. I think you're right in altering it as I think it would bug you if you didn't. Looking forward to progress with this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Irene. Thanks for the positive comments. I can't take too much credit for the brickwork as they are printed paper sheets, but they came up pretty well. I agree re the bathroom. I might buy more tiles and let it sit for a while. If it still bugs me in six months, I'll change it then!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hi Carmen. Thanks so much! Glad you like!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful house! I love the bathroom! Hugs Josefin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Josefin! I like it too. If I do relocate it, I will still decorate it the same, but just move it to the back.

      Delete
  4. Hello Shannon,
    Wow, you don't make life easy for yourself, do you? lol But I agree with Irene, you're just right to alter it now as you'd never be happy with it otherwise. The Mountfield is a superb house, and the brickwork works really well on the front.
    All the best
    Vivian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vivian! No I probably make things too hard, but sometimes things are great in your head and not so great when completed! I blame watching too much 'Homes under the hammer'! Haha!

      Delete
  5. Oh Lord, late again!
    You know this is one of my favourite dolls houses and I love what you've done with the brick paper. I also adore your bathroom suite!! You plans to relocate the bathroom, this is so great for projects like this as its design is so realistic.
    All very exciting...
    Si

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi again! I too am pretty happy with how the paper brick turned out. Some pretty interesting designs in the range so you can do all sorts of fun things. It was a pretty soft paper though, so I had to be very careful I didn't take the surface off it, and seal it after I'd glued it on. And yes, agreed - putting the bathroom at the back would be more realistic. I did it this way originally as I enlarged the back room, so was therefore better for a bedroom or music room, but it's not realistic for the time period I (vaguely) chose. I am going to let it sit for now though - not sure I feel like tackling it just yet! Maybe when I get a bed for the front room to inspire me to change it all about!

      Delete