Translate

Saturday, March 4, 2017

Mountfield and French chateau progress

Well, here in Oz, another weekend is almost over. Where does it go?? I spent a good part of this afternoon scraping off the wall tiles in the old Mountfield bathroom which wasn't a huge drama, but one of those jobs I am just too lazy to bother with! In case you were wondering how I did it, I just tore off what I could of the tiles (paper with a shiny plastic coated surface), using a craft knife to get under the edges, then wiping a damp cloth over the paper residue. When it got damp enough, it just kind of rubbed off (using the cloth and finger nails). The floor tiles were another matter. They stayed where they were and I put the floor boards over the top. Problem 1: the floor boards were a different colour to the original ones in the other rooms (but I stained them all anyway, but even with the stain, the new boards are a slightly different colour); and 2) I stupidly put the floor boards running in the opposite direction to the rest of the house. Never mind. With a rug, I am not sure it is something you will notice.

This room doesn't really have a use yet. I am not much into kids' rooms but I do have a few little boys toys that I could've used here had I thought to put a boys wallpaper in there, rather than flowers. I have a little cot from my very first dollhouse, made from a kit, and it is white and blue, hence could've put that in there. So I am thinking either a child's room with the cot repainted, or a sewing/other room, similar to my music room I had at the back where the new bathroom was relocated to. (And yes the ceiling has scabby marks I need to fill and paint)


I have also been doing some work on the French chateau, mainly the salon, entry and courtyard which are all on the ground floor, and some exterior work. Here you can see the entry with stairs my husband helped build. This room will have a door on the right side, leading to the salon and I was going to have a matching door at the back leading under the stairs. My thoughts were that this would be visually very busy, as the two doors would be very close together and ornate. So I could put a niche on the stair wall (but they're not entirely my thing) or a smaller, plainer door (utilitarian). If I do a door, it could open and reveal a secret passage, or even a secret world! It's only a small space though - about 12cm wide and 10cm deep. What are your thoughts? Any crazy, whacky ideas??




Hope your weekend has been a good one. Xx

24 comments:

  1. I vote no to a second doorway, it would be too much for the room (especially with ornate trim) and you'd loose the only display space you have. I'd put a console table on that wall, with either a mirror or picture above. Besides, you couldn't put a full height door anyway, it would have to be a Harry Potter under the stairs kind of door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keli. Yes I hadn't thought so much about the height until you mentioned it. The outline of the door on the wall is actually much larger than a normal size door, but even so, I do want to retain some realism with the stairs. Thanks for the insight!

      Delete
  2. Your hubby made a beautiful job of the staircase and I like the idea of another door, perhaps open slightly, giving the impression that someone has just disappeared through it but without the need to decorate the space behind. It's quite a job, isn't it, trying to decide what rooms to have (I'm not into children's rooms either) but if you've got the accessories, it would be nice to use them? Looking forward to your progress with this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Irene. Maybe I could put all the boys toys into the room with the floral wallpaper and call the little boy 'a little gift from God'??? Haha! Not sure about that, but I think I will shelf the room for now and stew on it. And yes, my hibby did sdo well with the stairs. I am now just hoping my idea for the railing will work out! Xx

      Delete
  3. It will be a lovely room, I like the door! And stairs in other space - looking forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stay tuned Ingi, and thank you for the love!

      Delete
  4. Im must say i like the room i did not even notice the floor. Rich put wood floor in the kitchen that doesnt match the flooring upstairs or the living rm i just let it go

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marisa. I guess sometimes builders or renovators can do some funny things in real homes so I guess it is OK in miniature too.

      On a side note, why am I not following your blog? I am sure I was. I am also sure that Google sometimes unfollows me from blogs because I have signed up to a few multiple times only to find I am magically not following them anymore....

      Delete
  5. Secret door to something fun!!! That's my vote. Harry Potter, a troll, wizard...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A troll is such a funny idea! Or I could make it look like a rabbit hole! Although it is French, so it should maybe be something vaguely French-related. Anyway, will keep thinking! Xx

      Delete
  6. For a grand entryway with curved stairs...a door under them seems a bit out of place. If it was leading to another room in the back and you could leave it open that'd make sense. But I agree with Keli, a small table and a painting or mirror would look less busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheila. Thanks for the input. It would be nice to have something pretty here. I did have a table but it is too large for the space I think. Although I will reserve judgement until the room is finished. It can be hard to tell when things look messy an unfinished. Xx

      Delete
  7. Hi Shannon, I didn't realize I wasn't following your blog yet...! I like the idea of something under the stairs.... Because I like complexity! I think in an elegant old house, the door under the stairs would lead to a service area... perhaps a Butler's station? In our old house we had a "telephone booth" on our second floor that was in a little closet for privacy.... with a window in the door! A very old fashioned idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betsy - apparently I'm not following yours either. Will fix that. I like complexity too and love how old houses have all those secret passage ways and halls hidden behind walls. I love the idea of a telephone booth. I have seen them in old hotels and loved them. I also had the idea I could've put an old elevator here, but it may be a bit late for that. Something to think about though!

      Delete
  8. Thank you Shannon! I'm curious how it looks when it's done: o) I like the stairs.

    Mini hugs from vienna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shannon, las escaleras curvas son realmente bonitas. Puedes hacer muchas cosas en esta casa y todas resultaran perfectas, no necesitas ideas, tu las tienes muy buenas...Un beso

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Maria, that is so kind and sweet. Thank you! I do have an idea now, so I just need to make it work.

      Delete
  10. Hi Shannon, I'm loving your room progress. For some reason, a sewing/craft room in the first one seems like a great idea. :)

    Pei Li

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pei Li. I like that idea better too. Given I need to make some more sewing minis for my French shop, plus this rooom, I really need to get making!!

      Delete
  11. The staircase is fab, I love the curved nature of it and the round window that you pass as you go up the stairs is perfect! Hope things are going better for you in April.

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenn, thanks for the kind words. Things are Ok here - trying not to think too much about anything! The brain can be one's worst enemy! Take care. Xx

      Delete
  12. The stairs looks already great, very nice! :)
    Behind the door the owners of your house could store some bottles of good wine ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Yosh! And yes, a little wine store would be great! I had thought about an elevator but decided against that. Now I just need to decide whether it will be a normal, simple door or a secret door (how hard could that be to construct??). Xx

    ReplyDelete