Translate

Sunday, December 16, 2018

Baby steps

Hi all. We are in December - can you believe it?? I last posted in July... heck. I guess I have some catching up to do. First I'll show you some little bits and pieces and maybe over the next week or two, I will post some photos of some pretty stuff from our September holiday in France and Italy (sigh, feels so long ago).

A couple of years ago, I missed out on a very pretty dress made by a Melbourne lady whose stuff is sold by another Melbourne lady at the Sydney miniatures fair. Ergo, I commissioned one. It finally arrived a few weeks ago, and it is stunning. Here are the front and back views:


(it even has a petticoat lining)

And completely unnecessarily, she also sent a tiny pair of adorable shoes:



Instead of paying Dianne (the lady who made the dress), I actually made a rose vine for Di, who paid Dianne the cost of the dress (love the barter system):


This is the vine on my Black Walnut cottage:

(it needs some shaping but it is just propped there)

I have worked on my Coxwolds as it is soooo close to being done structurally. I made the sink unit, based on a real life picture:



(Weirdly my taps look much lighter than their real life antique brass look)


Please excuse the crappy photo but we have had rain and cloud and heat and wind and, well, everything. So hopefully will get better shots when the flooring arrives and I can install everything.

I have also done a little more work on my chateau. Here is the rear courtyard entry. Again, terrible photos as it is an enclosed, small space. I will get some photos when  I have finished painting the panels. This is the litmus test to see how I go with painting an aged stone effect. Wish me luck.




 I have used a Sue Cook wall fountain and overdoor ornament. I have to finish the door for the opening. It will have a light behind it so light will shine through the little windows in the door.

In related news, we had our upstairs windows replaced, which meant some touching up of plaster and repainting my sewing room. I am not overly fond of pale walls but it makes my studio much lighter. And whilst everything was in disarray, I took the opportunity to put in some vinyl floor (it had always been painted chipboard which was peeling and was noisy). Looks so much better.


Lastly, some photos of the few minis I managed to find in Italy and France. Well, only Italy actually.

An adorable Pinocchio made of ceramic (although not really a mini, he's probably about 20cm tall). One day I will dress him. And a little puppet theatre:


My Murano glass minis (I'm not sure whether they are from Murano in Italy or Murano in China but that is OK)

 (this shows them with one of my 1:24 chairs, so they are quite tiny)

(Puffer fish!!! Hehehe!)

 OK, I will leave it there for now. I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday season. It is a difficult time for many I know, so extra hugs to those of you in that boat. We will be having a quiet one. xxx


20 comments:

  1. Hello Shannon! :D
    I have to say that your new Victorian dress is A STUNNER! What I find particularly fascinating are the row of teeny tiny buttons down the back- that detail is AMAZING and I can't help but admire Dianne's mini dressmaking skills but also YOURS, because the vine is Equally FABULOUS! The bark of that ancient rose, the growth pattern and the leaves and flowers are Meticulously done and so realistic that any dollhouse gardener would be so proud to have such a plant growing against it's walls. :D
    I'm also impressed with your Cotswold sink unit and can't wait to see its installation .
    And your French Chateau's Entry is looking very romantic! I love the idea of a fountain and am also crazy about the panels on the opposite wall- Beautiful!
    Your Italian Murano glass miniatures are a Delight and who cares if they were made in Italy or China; they carry the memories of you trip and that is All that really matters. :D

    Have a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Floor! :D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth. Yes the dress is amazing. The teeny buttons are no hole pearls which I think are glued on. And thanks for the compliments on the rose vine. There is a bit of work in sticking all those leaves on but not too hard. You are right about the Murano glass. I agree that they are great mementos of my trip and really I am not fissed about whether they were made in Murano or not. And they’re cute and will fit in the dollhoises, so i am happy with that! Take care and happy holidays! Xx

      Delete
  2. Impresionante el vestido victoriano,es precioso,todo un tesoro!!!
    La enredadera es perfecta y queda genial en la fachada,
    Muy buenos los avances en la casa,el fregadero es una obra de arte!
    Feliz Navidad y Próspero año nuevo!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely compliments and encouragement Pilar! I hope you have a lovely Christmas and the new year brings lots more mini joy! Xx

      Delete
  3. Que de travail accomplis , c'est tout simplement superbe!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Isabelle! That’s very kind of you. Merry Christmas! Xx

      Delete
  4. Una maravilla ese vestido , todo el es muy delicado ;la trasera me a entusiasmado con esos botones minúsculos y el lazo le da un toque de perfección. Su árbol en la cabaña es perfecto y seguro que en otro sitio hará fantástico también.el suelo de su taller se ve perfecto confortable. El pinocho y el teatrillo serán unos recuerdos muy bonitos de su viaje. Felices fiestas:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosa Maria. I love the back detail too. Dianne certainly has an eye for detail and a steady hand. And thank you for the kind compliments on the rose vine. Take care and I hope you enjoy your holidays. Xx

      Delete
  5. Shannon that dress is gorgeous! I love all the detail and Di certainly got a good deal getting your rose vine in return!

    Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheila. Yes the dress is divine and thanks for the nice words on the vine. Happy holidays to you and your family. Xx

      Delete
  6. Wow! That dress is incredible!!! How on earth are those tiny buttons sewed on?!? Unbelievable! And a barter is a wonderful way to exchange our specific talents with one another. I know the seller/middle person is saying the same thing about your delicate and amazing rose vine!
    I'm sending good luck on the chateau's stone work, but I know you have the talent to make it amazing! The trim work and the Sue Cook pieces look fabulous!
    A fresher, brighter space with new windows and flooring is always a great way to renew your enthusiasm to work, so I expect more posts more often! ;O)
    Can't wait to see photos from your vacation abroad - the tiny glass pieces, Pinocchio and puppet theater are wonderful choices as mementos!
    Have a Very Merry Christmas and Productive New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jodi, that’s nice of you to say. I think the teeny buttons are no hole pearls glued on. They are just so tiny and so neatly applied. And thanks for the vote of confidence! I have made a start on the painting so will need to post on that soon. And as for my studio, I am slowly working on rearranging stuff. This includes having to tidy our spare bedroom, so there is still a bit of to-ing and fro-ing, and making things messy before they get neat! Haha! Merry Christmas to you also and I hope you find some mini joy under your tree. Xx

      Delete
  7. So glad to see a post from you Shannon :). Your new dress is divine. Such a work of art! And I agree, the barter system is the best. Your sink unit is wonderful... a great and realistic version of the original.. and it looks like it fits the space perfectly. I love your trip mini finds. Pinnochio is delightful. I think I saw a few of your trip pics on Instagram... from what I saw it looked fabulous. Looking forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sam. Yes Dianne is a true artist! And thanks for the compliment re the sink unit. It’s close enough for me to be happy with it. I didn’t have any hardware like in the picture so I just used what I have. I don’t think it matters too much. And yes, I need to post some holiday photos! Have a lovely Christmas.

      Delete
  8. Shannon, that mini dress is breathtaking! Well worth the wait, and I love the barter system too. I'm in love with the Pinnochio, and of all the China Murano pieces (I'm pretty sure you're right about that!), the little swan is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!! The swan is my favourite too! Although I do think the puffer fish is pretty funny. Hope that 2019 is great for you! X

      Delete
  9. The vine is marvellous ! And I love the white dress,amazing !

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found this blog after a long time which is really helpful to let understand different approaches. I am going to adopt these new point to my career and thankful for this help.
    Laser engraving Perth

    ReplyDelete