Translate

Thursday, July 26, 2018

Happy Friday

I have not been posting enough blog posts lately and although I don't have a lot to say, I thought I'd give a quick update. I have spent a lot of my weekend (and weekday) hours working on my new work room which will house my brand new laser cutter. This has been a big step for me, one which still isn't sitting well, but I had reached that point where $$$ needed to be spent one way or another. So I will post a photo of my little work space when it is a little more finished - just some painting left to do and some trimming out to neaten things up. I am very excited about this new little space. It will make things much easier for my little business.

And I also opened a website, with an online store, hints and tips, gallery, etc. I am having a sale this weekend. Orders over $60aud will get 10% off. Just enter the code GRANDOPEN10. The sale starts at 8am AEST Saturday 28 July and ends at 12 midnight AEST 29 July.

Here is my new website address: https://www.redcottageminiatures.com

So onto more fun stuff. I will post some pics of some stuff I have been working on this year.

A little 3d printed Shapeways bike out the front of my Carmel cottage. So cute, but it is the cheaper plastic so is quite lumpy.


The bedroom of the Carmel:



Some views of the living room:


Needs some cushions I think....

The entry:

And kitchen:


I am really happy with how this cottage has turned out. It still needs accessories, but they will come in good time.

I have also done some work on my chateau, including the salon floors:


I laser cut parquet floor parts and now and sticking them together. I have made not quite 20 of the squares, with quite a few to go, and I have not been doing too many lately, but some progress is better than none.

And another new little kit. It is an odd scale, so I may size it up to 1:24 scale and sell it in my store, but for now I am working on getting the roof parts right. When that is done, I will be able to reveal more.



Ok, enjoy your weekend everyone. I will be painting and fixing up a few little things in my workshop! And hoping for some sunshine.

25 comments:

  1. The cottage is genuinely swoon worthy, inside and out! Charm and detail everywhere you look, and it's not even fully accessorized yet! I am in LOVE! The bike is ~G~R~E~A~T! The cabinets above the sink unit surrounding the windows? <3 <3 <3 Those doors! The bed! The parquet floors! You may not be posting, but you are surely busy creating greatness!
    Congrats on the new website! I had a look around, and really like what I see! I love all your structure and furniture designs so much, that I see a 1:24th scale project filled with all your creations in my future!
    Good luck with the finishing touches on the workroom. Can't wait to see what's next!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jodi. Thanks for your lovely comments. I spent some time a month or two ago making some accessories and even just a few things adds a lot of character. Will try to post a bit more frequently with what I have been up to. Take care. Xx

      Delete
  2. Hello- You have done great work on your models- I particularly like the 'Foyer' with the Stairs. I'm just starting out with a 1:16th Project- it is all a bit unusual though I'm enjoying it greatly and have learnt a lot since starting the planning some weeks ago. Have saved your Site to my Favorites. Regards. KEV. (Sydney-Australia).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kev, thank you for your lovely comment. Your project looks very interesting and promising. It is a fun hobby and means you can dabble in a lot of different aspects of making/crafting. And we are always learning! I want to learn more about aging stuff. But all in good time!

      Delete
  3. Congrats on your new workspace and website! I know you're going to do great. I love that bicycle on the path... Just lovely. Can't wait to see your workroom. (I have workspace envy)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheila. My workspace is girly, and quite small, so don’t be too envious, but it is mine and will be a comfortable space to work in. I am looking forward to aving it done! Enjoy your weekend. Xx

      Delete
  4. The cottage is lovely and charming. I was in Monterrey last year and if I had known about the cottages, I would have gone to see them. You have done an excellent job of recreating them. It makes me want to give 1/24 scale a try! Congratulations on your new laser cutter and the website looks great as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carrie. We only got about an hour to find and then see the cottages, and it was worth a visit, however they were snuggled into trees and gardens so nearly impossible to photograph from the street. Would love to go back and have a proper look, especially if they had open days. And thanks for the compliments re the website. It’s been a bit of an exercise in frustration management! Haha! Enjoy your weekend.

      Delete
  5. Hi Shannon- I've had a good look at your Website- you have made a fine assortment of 1:24th Scale Kits- great Design work you have achieved- I particularly like your Chairs and the Old Style Stove. Good fortune with your Business adventure. Regards. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kev. Thank you - I am probably most proud of my chairs; they took a lot of work to get right initially. I add stuff periodically, have lots of ideas! I look forward to seeing how you go with your build!

      Delete
  6. H Shannon! Congratulations on your new web-site! I will go have a look! The Carmel Cottage is adorable! The bicycle is so perfect for the setting! I Love the parquet floor you are making and would love to see more of the Chateau! You have been busy!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betsy. Thanks for the compliments. I love the bicycle took. I need to get to work on the parquet because it has been a real sticking point for me. Have a great week. Xx

      Delete
  7. I love what you have done with your cottage so far. Every room is very charming and cosy! Good luck with your shop, I hope you sell a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alex. Thank you! The sale was a success and now I have lots of orders to pack. I will have a busy day! Xx

      Delete
  8. Well done with the new website. It looks clean and professional, your photography is good and you have a lovely variety of products. May it help your business to grow in leaps and bounds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megan! I think it probably still needs a little tweaking but pretty happy with it so far. Thanks for the feedback and yes I too hope it helps moving forward! X

      Delete
  9. Hi Shannon!
    I know that I am Terribly late to the party but may I say that catching up was An Enormous Pleasure!!!
    Your Carmel Cottage is Absolutely ENCHANTING both inside and out!
    I love the way you have assembled the house kit and the furniture kits offered on your website in such creative ways- BRILLIANT!
    The sunny yellow bedroom is perhaps my favorite room, but I also love your cosy, rosy parlour too!
    The entire property is evocotive of an English Countryside although I realize that it is inspired by a California Cottage. Nevertheless it looks English to me as well as irresistibly cute!
    Congratulations on it and on your new WEBSITE where I see that some items are already "Sold Out" so appears as if you are already off to a GREAT START! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Elizabeth. Thanks for the positive feedback. And yes my cottage is quite English, but then the Comstock cottages were based on English cottages anyway. Swings and roundabouts huh?? I have a massive obsession with 1930s architecture and decor at the moment. Hope you have a great week. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Elizabeth! What a great work you have done!!!!
    Greetings from Finland!
    Kristiina

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Shannon, what type of wood and how thick is the laser cut parquet? Is it possible to order some? thanks Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angie. The flooring isn’t wood, it’s oiled manilla (the same dark brown card stuff that is in many of my kits). I can work out a price for you for a sheet. Keep in mind my newer card is a dark brown, whereas the card used in these pics is a lighter brown stained. Anyway will get back to you. X

      Delete