Translate

Friday, January 1, 2021

Trials and tribulations

 Hi everyone. Happy new year. I think. I hope. I meant to post blogs in the last few months of 2020 but time got away from me. In efforts to finish some projects, I pulled out my 1:48 Nob Hill by Suzanne and Andrew's Miniatures. To be honest, it's been a slog. Too much manual measuring and cutting, and some parts were wrong. Anyway, I am happy with it now so that is all that matters. It had lights too, but I managed to blow all them today after spending half of yesterday fiddling with them. Sigh. Fortunately I got a few photos from yesterday.

So here is the living (left) and dining (right) rooms, with sitting room (left) and bathroom (right) upstairs.



Kitchen (left) and entry (right) with bedroom (left) and sitting room (right) upstairs.



And the exterior with the tower just sitting there. I need to attach that (permanently or with magnets to be determined). And it also needs some sort of plastic over the windows. I might use vellum.



And front on, without the tower. I have also since added a strip of green card around the base painted the same green as the gables. I would love your thoughts on the porch roof. I just don't like it. I feel like it competes with everything else. Very tempted to paint it to match the rest of the roof.



It really is cute and I am glad I persevered. I have quite a bit of furniture to put together or paint but think I might need a couple more pieces. And then some landscaping. But for now I need to finish some other bits and pieces.

And on that note, I will leave it there. I hope to post a little more frequently than last year. Maybe it will keep me motivated and moving along. Take care everyone. xx

17 comments:

  1. Me encanta cómo va viéndose Nob Hill! espero que pronto arregles lo de las luces. La fachada es espectacular con el montaje de la torre, me parece preciosa! El tejado del porche, tienes razón, en mi opinión también "se ve demasiado" y le quita protagonismo al resto de fachada, pero seguro encontrarás el equilibrio.
    Mantén la motivación!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pilar. Thanks for your lovely comment. It is such a cute house, and my husband helped me get all the lights working again! Thanks for your thoughts on the porch roof - I think I might take them off and use the same shingles as the main roof. Take care. Xx

      Delete
  2. Wonderful home! I agree with you that the porch roof needs to be repainted! ))))
    Happy New Year!
    Tatiana!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your opinion Tatiana! I also think they are out of scale. Hopefully I will find motivation soon to replace them and see hiw that looks. Happy new year to you too! Xx

      Delete
  3. Nob hill is adorable. I cannot decide if you should change the roof or not. I will be anxiously awaiting the interior.
    I wish you a very happy New Year full of success and happiness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carrie! Happy new year to you too. I hope things turn around for us all. I am thinking of pulling the porch shingles off and putting on the same shingles as the roof. I think I will try painting the pattern on the smaller shingles and seeing if I like that better. Take care! Xx

      Delete
  4. I love this house, though I doubt that I'll build anything that small. The Fairfield is driving me nuts. So it seems that we have been on the same page more or less with trying to finish up projects. I am quite excited to get that big house done. Happy New Year, Shannon and thank you for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann! It is so good to have a house completed! So much satisfaction to stand back and just see it finished. Even if the furniture and accessories aren’t complete. Yes, smaller scales are hard I think, but I do like the cuteness. Hopefully we both have a productive year and get some stuff finished offf! Xx

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Hi Megan. Thank you. And thanks for stopping in to say hi. I really feel for you - life can be an uphill battle at times - so just keep putting one foot in front of the other. I will look forward to seeing more from you when things improve. Sending hugs. Xx

      Delete
  6. Hi Shannon! You have done great job with this sweet tiny house! It looks like a 3-d puzzle! I'm impressed that you have made lights too. Room layout is interesting like in full size house. I agree that porch roof competes especially with florals on top. I would suggest you try to overpaint one or the other with one colour and dry brush to weaken the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Riitta. Thanks for your lovely comment! I am going to remove the porch shingles and use the same ones from the roof. I think I will paint them with the same pattern, just to see if it looks better, and if not, I will paint them plain to match the roof. Happy new year to you! Xx

      Delete
  7. Hi Shannon, little projects can sometimes be the most challenging! But this house is Loaded with charm! I would try painting the "flower" shingles in different colors. The white is too much in my opinion. I would try a darker green on the white ones and use either a pink or gold on the "centers" of the flowers, if you see what I mean. I agree that it is distracting... but I think that is mostly due to the white color. Those roofs (in RL) were usually slate shingles and it usually was only in pink, gray, greenish and bluish variations. The real roofs done in patterns were subtle rather than flashy because the slates were in the natural colors, not painted or manufactured. I hope that helps! It's great to see your projects coming along! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Betsy. Thanks for your suggestions! I think I’ll replace the shingles with the same ones I used on the roof (I think they’re out of scale on the porch roof) and paint them with the same pattern, but darken the cream, and if I don’t like that, paint them all pink to match the roof. I had them painted grey but I didn’t like it as there was no other grey anywhere. Perhaps if I’d added some green to my grey that would’ve helped. Anyway, I will have another go and see how that looks. Thanks again, and happy new year! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pretty and colorful! Good to 'see' you. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I've missed this little property. It's lovely and so unusual. The roof? Hmm....I think the same as the main roof? I hope you are well and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. (late but..) Happy New Year Shannon. I am just catching up. What a sweet cottage! The detail is just fabulous. You have probably already made up your mind about the porch roof, but for what it is worth, I tend to agree that it is way too busy. For me, it overshadows all the other lovely details.
    Anna X

    ReplyDelete