Translate

Saturday, September 17, 2022

Chateau update (plus other stuff)

Hi everyone. I have spent a good few hours this weekend making progress on my chateau. There has been some setbacks, including a diminished supply of a paint colour I needed that has become rare/expensive. I solved it by getting a sample pot of paint using colour match. So now I have a big pot of paint plus the formula to make the same colour again if I need it in future. So many parts got repainted in the new paint and we're back on track. I finished my wall mural last weekend and here it is temporarily held in place in the entry. Now some trimming of parts to make everything fit, a bit more painting and then we're very close to done. Wondering if this needs a sky blue ceiling??




It's a really satisfying place to be. The salon is currently having the front wall panels glued in place, so no photos. But it is also progressing. 

I have also begun seriously rehabbing the Fairfield I bought a few years ago. Not much to show, but it has been partially pulled apart and reglued. It was an example of what not to do - wallpapers in slots and on tabs, hot glue, parts not meeting up. The whole base is twisted and no idea how. Or maybe the base is fine and the whole house is twisted? 

This is a reminder of how it looked. I pulled out the fireplace wall as I will make a new wall to go there with a fireplace to the left for the living room and a stove to the right for the kitchen.


And here, stripped and reglued.


If I haven't already mentioned, this will be a seaside house, based loosely in the early-mid 1960s, because I loved the book 'Clarence takes a vacation' so much. This is how the exterior will roughly look (although at this stage, not sure I am going to attempt the curved front window..... but we'll see!


I have also been making miniature baskets, with some slow improvement. These are all earlier ones, except the green one at the back and the white one at the front. It's a fun pastime, but I am still testing thread thickness to find the perfect size.


And the last thing I will share with you today is my Robin Betterley Liberty Bay shop (sorry it's a bad photo). I pulled it out after many years of sitting. It turns out there were only a few things left to do to finish it. I hadn't attached the box that sits inside the frame at the back to enclose it, and wondered where the heck those pieces would be. I had just finished reorganising my craft room, which is why I seized upon the shop in the first place, and I recalled seeing a little bundle of wood and acrylic bits and THEY WERE THE RIGHT ONES!!! Miracle of miracles as I seem to spend more time looking for stuff than doing any mini making.

So now it's just finding some pieces to go inside, although I do have a few accessories already.


OK, I will leave it there as this is getting quite a long post and I am hungry.Two good reasons to stop! Hope you are all well. We have a 4-day weekend next weekend so I hope to have more chateau progress to show soon!!!!! And finally I can start planing the next storey (dining room and another room to be determined....a whole new set of dilemmas). Fun stuff!!! Take care out there!!!

14 comments:

  1. Fantástica la forma de solucionar lo de la pintura ¡que no es caro ahora?, la crisis llega a todos los sectores. Espectacular tu mural es digno de un museo. .
    Un gran trabajo tienes por delante en Fairfiel ,pero tu proyecto es también espectacular, seguro que si te propones la ventana frontal curva lo lograrás. Tus canastas se ven hermosas. Terminar de reorganizar tu taller es un paso para no desesperarse a la hora de trabajar; como encontrar las pinturas para tu tienda Robin Betterly. Te deseo una feliz semana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosa! Thanks for your comment. It is interesting how we can finally have the right idea when we think we have exhausted all options.
      I do have my hands full with the Fairfield. And thank you for the vote of confidence for making the front window. I really hope I am able to make the curved window. I will keep thinking and maybe have a try at some basic ideas.
      It was certainly worthwhile to tidy my room. I feel better with things in their right place. And thanks also for the compliment on my baskets. They have been very satisfying and fun. Xx

      Delete
  2. Grandes cambios, que sin duda mejoraran muchísimo tu nuevo proyecto.
    Las cestas son todas muy bonitas !!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eloisa. Thanks for your lovely comment. Yes it feels like a breakthrough and a big step forward. And the baskets have been fun to make!

      Delete
  3. Just seeing that amazing mural makes my heart beat faster, Shannon! I am absolutely in love with it and the way it elevates the staircase and entry! You did a beautiful job with the entire layout and your skills are unbelievable! Worth restating the sentiment - ~Amazing~!!!

    That poor Fairfield is so lucky to have been rescued by you! Now it will get the life it deserves! I love that it is based on the book and I am so excited to see the ideas you have for mid 60's décor!

    It looks like you have tried and mastered so many weaving styles and techniques! Your baskets are lovely! The process of trying new supplies can take forever until you find the perfect one. I seem to find it and then it's not available the next time I need it. This only reinforces to my hoarding problem! 😒

    Have fun finishing the little shop! It's adorable! You are certainly in a great place with projects now and have so many exciting tasks to work on with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jodi. Thanks for your lovely comments. I am happy with my mural. I was tired of trying to make the chateau something it wasn’t. Although a mural in the entry may not be common (or legit) I don’t care! I wanted this house to have character and life in it, so I am trying to be less hung up on fine detail.
      And yes, the poor Fairfield! What a mess!! It won’t be hugely 1960s but I hope it has that vibe. The house in the book is classic in style, from what I can gather from the pictures, but I do hope to have a 60s country vibe here and there!
      Oh yes, chasing down supplies… especially during COVID! It’s not been easy for sure. I have lots of ideas for mini baskets, and the more I make, the more I realise what needs adjusting or changing to get them better. Now to try a half scale one!! Oi…

      Delete
  4. Oh Shannon!!! Your mural is so beautiful. (I love the folly) It looks perfect on the staircase wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carrie. Thank you! I like how it came out and I like that it gives some interest and character to the room. I am glad you like the folly! In the real life garden, there is a fancy statue underneath, and it sits at the top of a hill with a fancy landscaped waterfall running down the hill towards the house. Very pretty.

      Delete
  5. Me encanta esa entrada del chateau. La foto que has puesto de esa casa antigua, es preciosa y muy inspiradora. El mural es magnífico.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Matxalen! I am happy with the results too. And isn’t the old house pretty? Simple but with lots of character.

      Delete
  6. Hi Shannon! Sorry I am so late to comment... I read this post on my travels and didn't get back to comment! I just LOVE your mural in the Chateau entry! And I would strongly suggest the sky blue ceiling.... (well, I use it a lot in my houses! LOL!) I am a sucker for the illusion of the outdoor landscape inside a room. :) I too have had the problem of paint going dry and out of fashion! I am seriously upset that my favorite silver paint is no longer in production! *Sigh* I need to learn to complete projects in a timely way.
    I think your ideas for the Fairfield look exciting too! And your baskets are just adorable! They must really be tiny in that scale. The idea of a whole new floor of rooms for the Chateau is also really exciting and I look forward to seeing more! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betsy, I’m so sorry I didn’t reply!! Thank you for your lovely comment and opinion on the ceiling. I remembered your sky ceiling from the doll workshop I think, and it is lovely. It’s such a pain when something that’s pivotal to your project is no longer available. If there’s furniture or an accessory I really want, I just buy it now. Too many mini things aren’t available anymore. We seem to be in a bit of a minis black hole with the manufacturers closing. And yes, a new set of rooms for the chateau is quite exciting (and overwhelming!). I hope I am more motivated with these next ones!

      Delete