Translate

Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Long time no blog

 Hi all. I know it has been a very long time since I blogged. It wasn’t intentional. I just haven’t been mini-ing. Back in November I received a bit of a slap in the face from a fellow miniaturist, and it really just made me wonder what on earth I was doing. So for the last six months, I’ve had very little interest in anything miniature. I did some sewing and some paper crafting instead and really enjoyed doing something different. We have spent the last month in the US, where I was lucky enough to go to the Chicago International. I also got to see the Thorne rooms, Colleen Moore’s fairy castle and Kaye Savage Browning’s miniature collection at the Kentucky Gateway Museum. It was spectacular. No words really do it justice. 

So given I have nothing to show that I have been working on, I will show my show purchases. (The photos are out of order, for which I apologise, but I am writing this on my ipad and not at all convinced I can rearrange the photos successfully.

Close-up of a clock (D-Tales miniatures), squirrel (puppenstuebchen I think) and key with tassel from June Clinkscales:


Clock, squirrel and key as above, basket also by D-Tales, bag by Minis2you and wine carrier by Pierluigi:

I think these are all Puppenstuebchen except the dragonfly by Lami’s minis (sorry, I don’t remember these things too well, plus they’ve all been tucked in a box for a month):

Half scale plants by Paula Gilhooley and basket also by D-Tales:

Flowers for planting in a garden by Twinheart:

A decent photo of the dragonfly:

The best thing about my visit though was that I got to meet two long-time friends, Keli and Robin. Having them to wander around the mini show and have dinner with was really a highlight. Next time I hope we have more time. Anyway, Keli gave me this vintage 1:24 scale stove (and some sweet Millie August wallpaper). How cute is it? So now I have the dilemma of whether I paint it or not. It is missing a leg, and the paint is badly chipped, so perhaps I will give it a replacement leg and paint it up for one of my houses.

A tureen (Art of mini), a box of oil paints and two kitchen tins (on floor) (Alemikimikri) and roller skates and ice skates (Minis2you):

I think this is a type of stove from Peiwen Pettigrand (which reminds me I should message her and ask). I bought it largely because I just loved it and have long given up worrying about having a specific house or scene for things to go in.

A closeup of the paints:

I have some other bits and pieces still to show you but that will wait for another post. I really splurged, after having to cancel this trip twice already and a few years of saving up. But guess what? I really want to go again next year!! We will see I guess….

16 comments:

  1. Lovely items. I just want you to know I had a family member belittle my hobby and I slacked off for many years. Now I am back. Know that your hobby is valued and valuable. Keep going and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi grandmommy. It saddens me to read that as I know exactly how you feel. Life is hard enough as it is without being told you are doing things wrong, or it is a waste of time or it’s meaningless. Is painting a waste of time? Or playing the piano? Reading? Photography? Wood carving? It’s sad that people can’t see miniatures as the art form it is and I am sorry you had to endure that. The comment I received was from a miniaturist about my laser cut kits, and I know it’s because she just doesn’t understand the complexities of laser cutting, but it rankled. Thank you for the words of encouragement. It’s nice to know there are understanding people out there. Xx

      Delete
  2. Hi Shannon! It's wonderful to see another post from you! And oh boy, you got some Treasures in Chicago! I am jealous that you got to all those mini museums too.... I live in the US, but am too far away to travel there easily. Someday I want to see the Kentucky Gateway Museum with Kaye's collection.... but it is a two day drive from here! Anyway, I am glad you can rise above the petty-minded criticism... your work is beautiful and creative! Please keep making minis and posting from time to time! :):):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betsy. Kentucky is a long way away from major cities and not easy to get to. We took an overnight Amtrack train from Chicago. It was worth the effort, but it would be better to fly into Cincinatti and drive the last hour to Maysville (since we normally drive on the other side of the road, we are too terrified to drive in the US!). And thanks for your kind comments. The inner miniaturist isn’t dead, just taking a break! Xx

      Delete
  3. Unas compras fantásticas.
    Me gusta todo, pero especialmente la cocina aunque le falte una pata.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eloisa! Isn’t the stove cute? I love old stuff and will treasure this for sure.

      Delete
  4. Hi Shannon! Its so great to have you back! I love all your little treasures. And your builds are always so interesting! I honestly think that people and the comments they make hit us all pretty hard in different ways. And the nature of miniaturists with how we concentrate on details and perfection tends to make us dwell on those negatives. It's hard when someone gets in our head like that.
    I look forward to seeing more of you this coming year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheila. Thanks for your kind and understanding words. Yes, sometimes people manage to hit a raw nerve with the precise way they say something. I know I need to forget it and move on, and focus on the positive comments I receive. One of the best things about minis is the joy we can bring to others. I also hope to make some mini progress on some stale projects! Xx

      Delete
  5. Wow Shannon! It must have been so much fun to see and shop for all of these amazing treasures! And balm for the soul. I hope it has sparked your passion and inspired you to pick up again on your truly incredible projects.

    It is unfathomable how much words can hurt us. Even when they come from ignorant people. Unfortunately, we meet people who are at all levels of enlightenment on our journeys. Your overcoming her just made you grow by leaps and bounds.

    Just know that there are far, far more people in our sphere who do SEE YOU and think you are incredibly smart, tenaciously focused and extraordinarily gifted in miniatures! Just so you know, I am a superfan! 💗💗💗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an interesting and eye opening trip Jodi. I had some very interesting conversations with a couple of people over there too, which really got me inspired. It is amazing how certain comments said in certain ways are the ones that really hurt us the most but I know there are more people out there that are kind and like to see our miniatures even with their perceived flaws. And thank you for your kind comments - I know there is mini life in this old dog yet! Xx

      Delete
  6. Muy bonitas compras. Ma alegro mucho que disfrutaras del espectáculo . No tengas en cuenta esos comentarios y adelante con tu hobby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosa. The show really was amazing, and it was hard to pick just a few things to buy. You have a great attitude - our hobby is our own and it doesn’t need to be perfect, whatever perfect is.

      Delete
  7. Hi Shannon! Thanks for stopping by my blog! It's good that you are back too. I perfectly understand your feelings, I went through a similar situation. Over the years I have realized that words are not carried away by the wind. We can do a lot of good or a lot of harm with just one word. The minis came into my life as a refuge when I went through a very difficult situation, so they are very special to me. Fortunately there are many more kind and respectful people with our hobby. Let's keep going enjoying the good things that this mini world gives us.
    It's good that you enjoyed your trip and were able to meet and share with friends. Your purchases are fantastic, the dragonfly is beautiful!
    Greetings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amary. Thanks for taking the time to comment. Hobbies are very helpful during difficult times and they have certainly helped me at times too. I can slowly feel that mini bug biting again, and having the opportunity to travel and talk to other miniaturists has really helped. And yes, I will keep blogging, as I hope you will also. I enjoy reading more about the process, rather than flicking through a million overwhelming photos on Intstagram (although I have that too). Take care. X

      Delete
  8. so many great little pieces of eye-candy. I love that clock, and the paint set!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Troy! The eye candy at the show was overwhelming to say the least, and hard to narrow down the choices, but I am happy with my purchases!

      Delete