Translate

Saturday, February 17, 2024

I'm not dead!!

 Hi all! Surprise!!! I know it has been a very long time between posts. I have been doing a little mini-ing on and off but mostly in the last 12 months I haven't had a lot of interest. I have so many projects on the go too, that when I look around my craft room, it's overwhelming and I have no idea what to work on. Every project has a little annoying job to be done, which is probably why it's still sitting unfinished.

Anyway, last year I accidentally purchased a reasonably big dollhouse locally (which was a big surprise) that I think must've been built using the Remember When dollhouse plan book (it's identical visually but not sure about the dimensions).



I had intended using it for my one day Toad Hall, but the ceilings are only 8" high, so that was a fail. So I am using it instead of another build I had earmarked for the Greenleaf Aster (so will I end up building that now, given I am up to my eyeballs in dollhouses/projects???). It's pretty roughly built but it also has a lot of charm, so I am keeping quite a bit of it as-is, with a little prettying up.




This is the photo I am using as inspiration. I like the simplicity.

I started by taking the roof off, making it more manageable, and am working on the rooms on one end, then will spin it around and work on the other end.

This is how it is currently looking:

I need to work out what sort of railing I'll use for the stairs and wallpaper for the living room (bottom right). I had planned on painting a mural all around but I don't know if that will ever get done. I might paper it and then decide later if I paint something to stick over the top.

If you follow my Red Cottage Miniatures Facebook or Instagram, you might have seen I have been working on mini flowers. Here are some of my recent ones. It is nice to have the tiny flowers but I can't say I am particularly enjoying the making part.


Anyway, I hope you are all well and still making minis occasionally. Take care.

 

12 comments:

  1. La casa que has comprado es muy bonita y la foto en la que te estás basando para embellecerla me encanta!! Es sencilla pero tiene muchísimo encanto!
    La rosa es preciosa!! Imagino que de momento no estés disfrutando de su elaboración, pero todo es cuestión de seguir haciendo y después seguro que disfrutarás!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pilar! Thank you for your comments! It is a charming house and I hope it will have lots of character when it is done. I will keep on making flowers as it will be so nice to have them for display, and yes, perhaps eventually I will enjoy making them! Take care. Xxx

      Delete
  2. Hi Shannon! It is lovely to see a post from you again! Although I have received your comments regularly, and for that I am thankful! It is wonderful to know minis are still a part of what you are up to! The "accidental" purchase looks like a great opportunity no mini artist can overlook... such potential and so much of the "ground work" already accomplished. I understand the "so many projects they overwhelm you" problem! But I also know that you have great ideas and mini skills, so it will only be a matter of time before you get going again on one or two of them. Sometimes they are stalled because we need to learn how to do something before we keep going, and another project can pave the way. But anyway, it's great to see a glimpse of what you are up to! The tiny flowers are exquisite! (But yes, they are time consuming.... and challenging!) Keep up the wonderful work! :):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betsy and thank you! Better late than never! I kept meaning to post here but just never quite got around to it. And sometimes I look at the thing I am working on and I don't think it makes for an interesting post. I do hope to get back into a bit of mini making and clear the desk a bit. I don't need to have finished projects, but I want the shell/box finished and ready for furniture and accessories. Small steps! Take care. Xx

      Delete
  3. What a great find, Shannon! Things like this can't be passed up no matter how many "in progress" projects you already have. And the inspiration photo gives you the perfect roadmap and inspiration!
    The flowers are beautiful! I used to dislike them, too, but have discovered that there is a time and place. When I do feel like working on them I remove all other projects from my table and allow myself a couple weeks with only flowers on my docket. This way I feel free with no pressure to meet deadlines or lofty goals. Then I find I enjoy the meditative, repetitive process. I hope that you find that helpful and not preachy!
    When my natural anxiety is looking for something to latch onto, my unfinished projects give it a large target. I am working diligently to counter those thoughts with the fact that projects are all about having opportunities and not about the finish line. It is good to have many opportunities just waiting for creativity and inspiration to arrive. Guilt has no place in things that are supposed to bring us only joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jodi, thanks for your lovely comment. I was so surprised to see this house advertised locally and it is nice to have a base from which to work. And I love the layout! And thanks for the tip re flower making. I do find when I am in the mood for something it just flows and I have no problems focussing on just that so maybe I need to just wait for that time to roll around. You are also very right about the unfinished projects. It is meant to be a hobby, not something to create additional anxiety and I try to remember they don't have to be finished (and truthfully they never are!). I think I too need to work on a lot of those thoughts I have and reshape how I think about things. Xx

      Delete
  4. La casa fuente de tu inspiración es preciosa, así que la tuya seguro que te quedará genial. Sólo con la muestra de tus flores me imagino la preciosidad de jardín que hagas y estaré feliz de ver los resultados.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosa. Thanks for your lovely comments. The inspiration house is lovely although simple, and I hope I can add a little rustic charm to this new house. And I am not sure I'll ever end up with a whole garden of flowers but maybe one day I will feel differently about flower making! Take care. Xx

      Delete
  5. Love this house, its going to be a great project

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Troy! It is such a fun layout and so many rooms!

      Delete
  6. Oh this is an exciting project! Before I saw your inspiration picture I was thinking that it looked well built but had very little character! Adding all those little touches will be so much fun to see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheila. It's actually quite badly built but that adds old house character! I want to keep it simple and wondering if I'll manage to get a decent aged paint finish to the exterior. I've already changed my mind on the hall wallpaper but don't want to change it now. We will see!

      Delete