Translate

Saturday, June 17, 2017

I'm feeling a bit spoilt plus Mountfield progress

Hello all. It has been quite a nice sunny (but cool) day and one of the few days I've been able to take the time to work on my minis for a couple of months. I took the opportunity to get a few things done and take some photos. I really want to get my Mountfield off to its new home so I finished off a good bit of the bathroom. All that needs doing is 1) gluing the toothbrush holder to the wall (which broke so I superglued the parts together) and 2) making the shower screen door. I want to add a robe to the back of the door one day, but other than that, it's done! No light going into the bath enclosure as I couldn't get a drill to angle into the space. And I probably should paint the ceiling light shade to match the wall lights. Here are photos:



When this gets to its new home, I will take better photos so you can see the details. 

And I need to finish the roof but am a bit stumped on that. You can see I gave it a flat roof, which I will paint to sort of match the roof tiles, but I don't know how to finish off the top edges where the tiles meet the flat bit. Would you put straight strips of flashing/lead? I was going to stick on overlapped tiles, like the corners, but not sure about that. Any hints would be greatly appreciated.


And now, the reason I feel spoilt is my sister and mum went to Kensington Dollshouse Fair last month and came home with many amazing things. Too many I think! I took some quick photos so you can see:

Cute little Veronique Lux toys! I wanted one of her monkeys as our little girl had a toy monkey, which now sits on our bed, and I just wanted one in mini too.

Plus a birdcage! The additional bird and Francine Coyon fishing creel were gifts from my sister.


A Jane Harrop 1:24 bathroom. It looks adorable.


Beautiful Glasscraft cranberry glass:


Alison Davies chairs (there is an additional one I didn't photograph) and sofa:


Kitchen utensils from the Little Dollhouse Company: (that bottle brush is my favourite!!)

And these Robert Dawson Modelroom dormer windows (there are four). Tossing up using these for my chateau, but more likely they will go on my future scratch built Beacon Hill (I actually purchased these and just got mum and sister to collect them). I would need an additional one of I used them for my chateau.

Did you all get some mini work done? I hope you found the time and inclination. Starting is the hardest part isn't it?? Enjoy the rest of your weekend. Xxx

24 comments:

  1. Love all the goodies. That cranberry glass!

    For the roof you could always get a metallic paint in pewter or copper in lieu of metal strips. Then age it with a some dry brushing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheila, yes I thought that too. I think I should just get unlazy and glue the remaining tiles on same as I did for the corners. Sigh.

      Delete
  2. When in doubt about the appropriate finish for a detail such as the edge of the roof do an image search for the real thing :) Of course that is actually best done in the design phase of a project but of course that does not always happen in an ever evolving project where the builder gets new ideas that vary from the first ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Yes Karin, best laid plans and all that! I did take a look and saw that I do need to use the matching tiles and lay them as I did for the corners. Sounds like a lot of work! Haha!

      Delete
  3. What FABULOUS additions to your collection Shannon! Your mom and sister have EXCELLENT taste and discernment.
    And your Mountfield bathroom is Absolutely Marvelous! You mentioned that it is going to a new home? Someone is going to be MIGHTY PLEASED to receive this! :D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth. They sure had some fun picking stuff out, and neither of them are miniaturists. The Mountfield is just going out of my craft room into the pool house (which is actually my husband's music studio, given we never ended up putting in a pool, but the deal was I got a shelf to put dollhouses on!). So it's a new home, not a new new home!

      Delete
    2. Your new minis are even more Incredible since you said that neither your mother or your sister are miniaturist, which means that they know your tastes well! :)
      I have been doing miniatures for a very long time and one Christmas several years ago, I received a box of miniature furniture from a close relative that was so juvenile that I struggled to find the right words to say in response to his excitement.
      and they are still in a drawer to this day. :(

      Delete
    3. Oh dear Elizabeth! It is weird to me that people can't see the difference between really amazing (or even just really good) miniatures (or art for that matter) and bad or juvenile ones. I guess some of us just notice the detail that others don't see.
      And mum and sister have seen a few miniatures now, helping me at shows, so they know what is of a high standard and what isn't. And yes, they know what I like!

      Delete
  4. El baño tiene un aspecto genial!!! Tu madre y tu hermana te han traído piezas preciosas para que sigas trabajando,tienen muy buen gusto!!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pilar. Yes they do have good taste! I feel very lucky.

      Delete
  5. I love your bathroom! It looks so real and beautiful, love it. Your Mom and sister are wonderful, such generosity and good taste :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alexandra, I am pleased that my accomplished readers think the bathroom came up so nicely! And yes, a very generous mum and sister who know what I love!!

      Delete
  6. what a wonderful haul, I love the glassware..tiny glassware always interests me. I guess I like shiney objects like a magpie

    Hugs
    Marisa :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right there with you Marisa!! Pink and shiny, even better!

      Delete
  7. Nice coulors in the bathroom !!!
    Hugs Nina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nina! Love those World Model tiles, they are easy to use and look great.

      Delete
  8. Hi Shannon, so glad to see your bathroom coming along nicely. I love that Alison Davies chairs, they look so elegant, classy and well made!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pei Li!. Yes Alison Davies stuff is lovely, she does a beautiful job. They very neat and finished beautifully. Xx

      Delete
  9. Look at all that beautiful loot! Each one of these are special and will no doubt make me swoon when you've displayed them! And you are absolutely right - getting started is the hardest part - Just Do It!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jodi. Yes each one is a tiny treasure, as are my mum and sister!! I have future homes for all these things. I hope to show a photo of my doll shop soon with some of these things in them, and my Coxwolds. Slow and steady wins the race, right? Enjoy your weekend! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the layout of your bathroom very much - far more interesting than just a square room and your little acquisitions are lovely - you're going to have fun placing them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Irene, I think it is a bit more interesting this way too. And it is realistic to have odd shaped rooms I think. Houses aren't made up of box rooms in real life. And walls are added or changed or removed over time. And it will be great to get these new things into their new (as yet unbuilt) homes! It's motivating for me. Xx

      Delete
  12. Ooooh, what lovely treasures from Kensington! Lucky you!!!
    The bathroom is looking lovely too! Keep up the wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy! I have pretty much finished the shower door now, so once it is glued on, the bathroom is done. A few more things to fix (the roof, front door) and landscaping and it's done! Oh, other than more accessories! Unless I change the wallpaper.....

      Delete