Translate

Saturday, November 2, 2019

A little Sunday update

Hello from a happily rainy Victoria. Not a lot of mini news here, but I did get a very exciting little parcel in my mail this week. I received my beautiful tiny Christmas gift basket from Deborah at The Half of it: My Adventures in Half Scale. I have to say that this little gift basket is even cuter in real life. So much so that I haven't wanted to unpack it - it just looks so cute with its tiny bow! Here it is on the doorstep of my Black Walnut cottage, and then on the dining table. It looks larger in the photo than it really is, but the table is quite small.




Thanks so much Deborah, I adore it, and one day it will take pride of place in a future Christmas cottage.

I have also done a bit on my doll shop. It went through yet another iteration and ended up with new wallpaper.


Here is a close up of the counter, which you have seen, but I have added some yellow glaze to get a closer match to the peachy tones of the wallpaper. Toy arrangement still in draft phase.


 I made some filler boxes for the shelves (which need labels I think).


Some close ups of my teddies I made from air dry clay and flocked (the teddy with the red bow is a painted metal mini I did years ago).



Lots more to come on the doll shop but I feel like I am pretty happy now with the interior decoration. Now it's really just filling the shelves. Oh and I need a couple of pieces of small furniture of undetermined size/style.

And lastly, unrelated to minis, I sold a painting today! I have been taking painting lessons for over four years now and we have an exhibition at the end of each year, usually with a theme. This year I had to paint on a palette and the theme was 'The Nature Palette'. I painted these cherry plums from my garden. You can't tell from the photo but the cherry plums are dimensional - I made rounded shapes from Paperclay. I am pretty happy with it, so a little sad it sold, but nice to recoup a little money.


Anyway, that's about it from here. Still arguing with the Chateau but that's OK. I will press on in baby steps. Take care all. x

14 comments:

  1. I just love the porch/steps/door on the Black Walnut cottage! It looks like a real photo from the Fairytale Cottages in Carmel, CA!
    And what a wonderful gift to have waiting by the door! Deb did a great job with the cellophane wrap!

    I really like the pink wallpaper and paint in the doll shop! It is really lovely set against the white moldings. I am excited to see it with the shelves all filled with dolls and toys! It looks like you've made a great start with all the tiny boxes!

    Congratulations on selling your first painted piece! It is so lovely with the background shading and the color of the plums is amazing! Selling anything is always a little bittersweet, because we really do pour ourselves into them, but it's also nice to know that someone "sees" us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jodi. I thought it was a fun idea that the tiny Black Walnut people would open their door and see a little gift basket left there. I think they would bring it inside and sit while the kettle boiled, then slowly unpack whilst drinking their pot of tea. Maybe they’ll fight over who gets the mug!

      I saw the wallpaper on Les Chinoiseries website and decided straight away that was what it had to be. I might add some more layers of paint (subtle) to the panelling but I like it much better. It’s more fun and welcoming now. I have also worked out I will need another shop for more masculine toys! That might be a little shop front future project.

      And thanks also re my painting. We only exhibit once a year, and I don’t always have my painting for sale so it’s fun when it happens. I have sold in the past but it’s been a few years, and it feels weird that my painting is in someone else’s house and I’ll never see it again. I feel like there is a good chunk of myself in them. But yes, nice to have it appreciated!

      Delete
  2. Felicidades por ser la afortunada del regalo de Navidad de Deborah. Tu juguetería promete , me encanta todo lo que has hecho,feliz semana:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosa Maria! I feel very lucky to have won the gift basket. I will soon unpack it look at the tiny gifts inside. Enjoy your week. X

      Delete
  3. Aw! I really like the little gift basket "arriving" on the front steps. Hope you enjoy it! Those stuffed animals are amazing. I would never have guessed that they were flocked air dry clay. And congratulations on selling your first painting! How fun that you made the plums 3-D!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again Deb! It is so cute! I imagined the tony Black Walnut inhabitants coming out their front door to find the basket waiting and getting such a lovely surprise! And thanks for compliments re teddies. I want to add a little shading to the flock but scared I will ruin it! I will see how I go! And thanks re my painting. I have actually sold paintings in the past, but we only exhibit once a year, and I don’t always have my painting for sale. I am excited someone wants it but it is like giving away a small part of yourself to a stranger. It is weird. Have a great week!

      Delete
  4. Oh Shannon, I am in love with your doll shop. It is so charming. What scale is it? Congratulations on your selling your painting. It is a lovely work of art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carrie, thank you! The doll shop is 1:12. It is one of the Houseworks street of shops. And thanks re my painting - it’s fun when it happens.

      Delete
  5. No me extraña que no quieras desempacar la canasta,se ve preciosa en el porche de la casa!
    Me gusta el nuevo fondo de pantalla de la juguetería y esos osos se ven adorables.
    Felicidades por la venta de esa preciosa pintura,aunque entiendo ese sentimiento de pérdida...piensa que has hecho feliz a alguien con tu paleta!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pilar. Thank you, I love the wallpaper too, and have lots more little bears to finish. I will get some better photos of the doll shop at some stage so you can see the wallpaper. And the painting - thank you. Yes you are right. Someone else will hopefully get some enjoyment from it. Xx

      Delete
  6. I love the new wallpaper. And the Christmas basket looks perfect on the steps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila. The gift basket is so adorable. I will post photos of it unpacked.

      Delete
  7. I LOVE the front door photo of your Black Walnut Cottage and what a charming name you've christened it with!
    The gift basket on the front steps looks Soooooo Real!
    And what a joy to see that you are working again on the toy shoppe. The fact that it is undergoing more upgrades and interior improvements means that you were right to wait and then tuck in later. Dollhouse projects don't always come the way we think they should on the first go round and ideas often need to marinate inside our heads until their ready to present themselves. The new wallpaper is ideal for a store which caters to children and the toys and the shelf units are going to allow for a number of tall toys to be easily displayed.
    And CONGRATULATIONS Shannon on selling your first painting!!!!
    I think that your painting of the dimensional cherry plums on the out of focus garden on the artist's palate is Brilliant! Your painting skills are Incredible and although this work was your first chick to leave the nest; I'm sure that it won't be the last! ❤️

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth, I named the Black Walnut after the trees as my grandmother had them at her farm and they are very English. And no, sometimes we have to wait until something clicks when we are working on projects. I think the dado in the doll shop probably should be a colour, rather than ivory but it is what it is for now! And thanks for the encouragement re my painting! I have sold before but it is infrequent as we only exhibit once a year. It’s weird too thinking of someone else going home with my painting! Hope you are well.xx

      Delete