Translate

Saturday, March 17, 2018

Roombox for a friend

Hello everyone. Sorry it has been so long between posts. This is the third time I have sat down to post on blogger, but still having issues with it.

I have been mini-ing. But I have been doing other things as well. I made a heap of little clothes for a friend for her Blythe doll, and also for a little sister petite Blythe I sent her, and packaging them all up individually in boxes. Here is a photo! Unfortunately I didn't get too many pics of the clothes, but that is OK. The second photo shows most of the items - one big, one little!




For the same friend, I also made a roombox. She is the one who embroiders, and made my doggy cushion you saw in the last few posts. Now I rushed the photos and took them in the evening, so they are not good, but hope you get something out of them. The fire flickers and the stars out the windows twinkle. I couldn’t get the door hinged - it was beyond me. Her father is a modeller so I figured he might have more success than me. Plus it took me so long I just wanted to get it to her. She lives about 6 hours drive away, and I was going to be seeing her for the first time in a very long time, so it had to go to her unfinished.


This is the whole of the outside of the box. A piece of acrylic slides in and out so that dust is kept out. There is also a lid in the ceiling for access from above.
















This is the little window that you can just see in the right of the above photo, on the porch. It is lit behind but isn't accessible.


















This is the right side of the box, showing the (unhinged) front door. Needs a door handle.















This is the inside view, where you can sort of see the twinkling stars. I painted MDF with sky/clouds then drilled tiny holes in it, poked optical fibres into the holes and glued them there, then lit them from the other end.








Here is another photo, with a close-up of the fireplace. I mostly made this, other than the Phoenix Miniatures fire grate. I love Phoenix stuff. You can't see them unfortunately but the side walls are all panelled on the lower parts and the William Morris wallpaper above. My friend is a William Morris fan.







These are some Nicola Mascall Christmas stockings my friend embroidered for me. Adorable!


And lastly I got a bit done on my Coxwolds. Here is the bathroom almost done, except for the vanity. I have decided on what I will use (well, mostly) now I just need to make it. The bath and toilet aren't glued in. The bath has to have a shower over it, so I will need to magic one up out of parts. That is daunting.



Workwise, I had a very busy November to January period and a quiet February, so I kind of fell into a slump. Finding it a little hard to get motivated. On the upside I have been cleaning and rearranging my craft room. I hope to have it in a good state so I can start working on all my work minis there instead of in the kitchen making a mess. I have also taken advantage of the good weather and got some work done around the home. Nothing exciting, but it feels good to get these things done. I spent a bit of time making up a cabinet for under my work table, which freed up lots of space in my craft room:


I have since made drawers for many of the cubby holes you can see. The small cubbies at the top of the second photo now hold my sticks - architraves, cornice, other mouldings.

And lastly, I purchased a rehab - the Fairfield. It was absolutely appallingly put together. Sooooo rough. You cannot tell so much from the photo. The lady I purchased it from said she had been doing minis for many years, since she was a kid. Ummmm, yup. Anyway, it has had a lot of parts pulled off. I recut many parts, including all the roof parts as the shingles were put on so badly (she had fully shingled all the roof parts, then stuck the house together, so there were shingles on the bits where roof parts were supposed to be joined). I am setting this aside though until I get a few other projects finished off. At some stage I will do a post on what my plans are for this.



Hope you are all well and getting lots of work done on your minis! And if I don't comment on your blogs, it is because I am having trouble with that too, so don't take it personally! I am getting lots of error messages, particularly from non-Blogger blogs and also from the fancier formatted Blogger blogs. Something to do with new IOS updates I guess. Have a great week!

22 comments:

  1. Que bonitos trabajos!!! La ropa de las Blythe son preciosas!
    La escena para tu amigo es genial,seguro que le encantará!
    El baño de la casa es precioso,se ve muy real!
    Bonito mueble para tu casa,espero que estés más motivada y que la sombra de la depresión se haya disipado.
    Muy bonita adquisición la nueva casa!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Pilar! Your comments are very kind. Like anyone, motivation comes and goes, but I can feel my enthusiasm returning and some new ideas formulating! Take care. Xx

      Delete
  2. Wonderful post Shannon. So nice to see your workroom full of storage and so organized!
    What fun it must have been to get together with your friend and exchange such treasures.
    The tile on the bathroom wall is great. Looking forward to the next step.
    Regards Janine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janine. Well, actually, catching up with my friend was less than expected - we met halfway between our homes, and instead of a 3+ hour drive, as a result of a freeway accident, it took me 6 hours. By the time we met up, there wasn’t much of the day left. But never mind. We still had some fun. And she loved her roombox! Hope the Swedish house is coming along. Xx

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous work! Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! I will post some photos of my Duddingwells soon.

      Delete
  4. So great to see you back in blogland Shannon. :) Lucky friend! Those little clothes are soo cute! How adorable for them to have matching outfits. An how spectacular is your roombox! And very Aussie too. love the '30s vibe. The fireplace and the cabinetry beside it is wonderful. Did you cut the fretwork yourself? Amazing detail.. I'm sure your friend is stoked. :) Craft room organisation always makes you feel so much better I love what you have done under your bench. Such great storage. Haha.. the little Fairfield looks a little wonky but I'm sure you will work you magic on it. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sam. Yes I cut the fretwork myself based on a design from an old Australian home. There was way more work in the roombox than I had initially anticipated, but it did come out nicely. I wish I’d gotten better photos. And it is great to get some of the debris out of the way so I will have room for working on my unfinished projects. Like the sad little Fairfield. X

      Delete
    2. Amazing! That is some serious detail work! You should be very proud. That poor little Fairfield will be much happier once you pay her some attention. :)

      Delete
    3. Thanks Sam, but should clarify - I drew the fretwork digitally and laser cut it. I just realised it sounds like I got a saw out and cut it by hand! I did NOT do that! Hahaha! Would NEVER have the patience for that! X

      Delete
  5. Wow! I'd say you've been incredibly productive as each of these things take tremendous time and effort. The clothing is wonderful, and how loving of you to take the time to box each one. I bet it felt like Christmas for her getting to open each one. And the roombox is just packed with fantastic details - I hope you'll be able to share photos of how she fills it out!
    It feels so good to start off in a newly organized work space - yours looks ready for all kinds of creative magic.
    There's way too much to say about the stockings, drawers you made, bathroom (lovely - can't wait to see what you do for the vanity) and Fairfield, but it's great to see what you've been up to and I am looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Jodi. I think it took about three evenings to glue up the boxes and pack everything. But worth the effort as it was quite the surprise for my friend! And yes, hope to get some more blog posts up soon, now that I have the hang of the desktop blogging. X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!!! Stupenda roombox!!! È l'atmosfera Arts&Craft che mi piacerebbe per la mia Fairbanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Blanche! This style would very much suit the Fairbanks. It was really just strips of woodover sheets of wood. Easy enough to do, just a little time consuming. I hope your Fairbanks is progressing well!

      Delete
  8. Hi Honey
    Sorry I'm so late. Now that Blogger has changed my "landing page" I have to keep remembering to go into my Reading List!
    What a great post!
    Firstly, I have to say I bet your friend will be blow away with the boombox! It's incredible. I adore William Morris too and can really appreciate the care you have taken with the Rennie Macintosh style elements and the wallpaper is perfect. You can see the care and thought you have put into it. That exterior green colour is lovely, by the way.
    The Coxwolds bathroom looks great in that (what appears to be) dusty rose colour. Especially the contrast green tub.
    I chuckled at your comment about your fab new "project" 's previous owner - we've all met them ;-)
    I am a little green (there's a lot of green in the comment!) with envy at your work table and all the storage you created. Well done! I have a couple of those practice (yet two-a-penny and not all that interesting) white modular style cabinets, a bit like the ones from IKEA. I need to get some drawers for the openings so I can hide stuff in them - I'm all for storage but I don't want to sit looking at the contents all day!
    Right, better go before this turns into a monologue!
    Have a great weekend
    Si x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Si. Yes, Blogger just seems to keep changing... Yes my friend loved her roombox. She has some Nicola Mascall chair covers that she is stitching for this roombox and probably a few other things. She is very patient with her embroidery, unlike me (I lose count!!). And the storage made a huge difference. I still have one drawer to make up, and need to put my wallpaper sheets somewhere, which I wished I had thought about when I made it all up. But that is OK. It is great to free up the other display areas and make other supplies less crowded. Now to finish some projects!! Take care Xx

      Delete
  9. WOW to EVERYTHING! I can't sew, so seeing your assorted Bylthe clothing as well as the individual packaging is Very Impressive!
    I also want to commend you on the William Morris roombox and those stars in the backdrop- sooooo Coool!
    Your Cotswold bathroom is a Stunner and I am particularly ga-ga over your tiles and the color combinations you chosen for this tiny room with its high window. I must say Shannon, I have a great admiration for how you achieve your bathrooms, they have loads of character and charm AND are "functional".
    Your Fairfield is going to be another charmer and I'm looking forward to peeking inside it as well.
    The Christmas stockings are Top Drawer! Your friend has an AMAZING talent; just as YOU have too! :D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth! I have been enjoying sewing again, which is good, as it has been a while, but it does mean that my minis done get done! The stars were a bit of trial and error, but the results were worth the effort. Once I figured out not to use superglue, it was fine. And also they don’t bend a lot, so you need space to work with behind the MDF painted ‘sky’. And yes, my friend is very talented! And far more patient than I!! Xx

      Delete
  10. A rehab Fairfield! I may be a teeny bit green with envy...so hard to find...cant wait to see what you do 🙂❤️ X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Lots of fun! I was very surprised as the lady lived just 15 mins away, and she had another one too (plus lots more including a Garfield I think it was). I paid too much, but I don’t care. I did get a heap of furniture but it isn’t my cup of tea. It will be a longer term project as I have a few things to get to first! X

      Delete
  11. Hi Shannon, So great to read about your updates! The roombox you made for your friend is just gorgeous, so much details. I LOVE the stained glass window. Awesome work. I'm wish you have a terrific week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pei Li! The stained glass didn’t quite come out as I had planned, but it looks OK. I wish I had taken more/better photos of the whole thing. Never mind. One day I will go visit her and take some! Xx

      Delete