Translate

Saturday, February 27, 2021

Progress on the French reno.

 Hi all. I had great plans of cracking on with the French house renovation in any spare time, but it hasn't happened. I have been reorganising my craft room so I could fit an armchair in there. It's on castors, so I can move it super easily to get at stuff tucked in beside it. I also rejigged one set of shelves to house (part of) my Barbie collection. (Apologies for the naked Francie - I got into trouble from her former owner for that!)



Here is the upstairs/attic floor with the guest bedroom and the stair hall/whatever room:

The painting propped on the table is one I copied from a Charles Garabed Atamian painting. If you haven't seen his paintings, look them up. They are truly stunning. To be honest, it's not finished. I might try finishing it. Or not. But I like it in here.

The main bedroom and antechamber: 

And the reading room:


I removed the window in the reading room to put a French door in. Now I need to cut the opening to the floor and rejig a door I had in the stash. I don't want to make a dusty mess so the wall cutting is on hold for now. FYI the spiral stairs are not yet glued in. But the interior is so close to being complete, save for a few minor details like door handles, a piece of moulding and the stair rail for the ground floor stairs.

I must say I love this house. I have always loved it. And the Lea Frisoni house I based it on. But I had never quite finished it. I guess I just felt it was time to make it more my own. I did retain a lot of the original details though. Now I am starting on the exterior finishing.

I have also been painting more mini dollies, made from Jean Pardina moulds. I love these tiny dolls. I love Patsy dolls. So in the photo there are two A Marque dolls, two Patsy dolls and a vintage style baby doll. I am pretty happy with them, although they need some neatening up. I have just painted them with acrylics. 

I've been up to all sorts of stuff and really enjoying working on new skills, but will post more another time. I have had a lot of counselling over the last 12 months to sort through some stuff from the last 10 years. It has been very enlightening and I have learnt a lot about myself. It has helped in many ways, not least of which is the desire to work on stuff that intimidated me or I just didn't have the heart to tackle. I can highly recommend it.

Anyway, on that note, I hope you are all well and enjoying your mini time. Take care until next time.

16 comments:

  1. Impresionante tu colección de barbie y la de vestido en tonos azules es amor a primera vista. Me alegro mucho que retomes tu casa francesa , ya solo ver las camas que tienes seleccionadas son una maravilla y tus muñecas Patsy son una monada, yo también nada más verlas me encantan. Me he visto reflejada totalmente en tus pensamientos como trabajar en las cosas que te intimidan o como dices no tuviste corazón para abordar; así que vas a ser un ejemplo a seguir. Cuídate y buena semana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosa. Thanks for your lovely comments! I hope that you are more inspired to work on new (or existing) skills. I have always had a fear of failure but I am finding that working on new things is fun so my fear of failure is reducing. I also bought books to learn from which helped. I hope you and your loved ones are doing OK. X

      Delete
  2. Life always seem to have plans different to what we do, doesn't it?
    Never the less, it seems like you are making good progress on this lovely house. I had been trying to find older posts to get an idea of the floor layout, I love how you have made the house two rooms deep - so much more realistic.
    Had to look up Charles Garabed Atamian and found your little painting right away. What beautiful art!
    Anna X
    (PS - I think, I find the bodyless head more disturbing than the naked lady LOL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Don’t ever come to our house - we have quite a few bodiless heads!! That head is one of my childhood Barbies, and I covered her bad haircut with a wig from a reproduction hair something Barbie. Maybe I could get her a replacement body and a dress sometime!! I hope that in the not too distant future I’ll get my house finished up and can post the whole thing so you will see the layout.

      Delete
  3. Está bien dejar algunas veces proyectos de lado, para poder organizar las cosas y en tu caso, con la maravillosa colección de muñecas que tienes, es imprescindible que luzcan bien!!
    La casa francesa tiene un aspecto encantador, tus nuevas ideas serán perfectas para retomar el trabajo!
    Intentar hacer cosas nuevas, aunque den miedo es muy bueno!
    Cuidaros mucho.
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pilar! Yes, taking the time to organise can save time later, especially when you are trying to find a particular tool or accessory!! You are multi-talented and seeing you making many different things is very inspiring and gives me courage to try new things. Take care over there.

      Delete
  4. I've always loved your style Shannon and your French house reno is looking great. I always leave the little details til the end too - and I usually forget that doors need handles.
    Those little tiny dolls you have made are something else -totally adorable and quite spectacular!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mercedes. So glad I am not alone in sometimes missing those little details. It’s hard sometimes in miniature because you will have something in your mind’s eye that you just can’t find to buy. And thank you for the lovely comment regarding my dolls. I hope your new little house is coming along. I love seeing posts!

      Delete
  5. Getting organized feels so good and gives us hope that the next organizational tasks can be done once we're ready! The shelf looks nice!
    The French house is really making progress! It's such an awesome house and I bet it feels great to be crossing tasks off the list and getting closer to your vision!
    Doll painting, too? Wow, Shannon! You are gifted with tiny painting skills, as well! They look adorable and it must be wonderful to see them restored!
    Therapy really does help us to organize and reframe our thoughts, and to give ourselves a break from our own impossible expectations. I am so glad that you are in a good place and are fully immersed in the things that make you feel fulfilled again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jodi. Agreed on the organizing. It is freeing and re-energising too I think. Plus it’s good just to be able to find stuff again! And thanks for the lovely comment on my dolls. I do enjoy painting them. They turn into such little characters once painted, and each one seems a little different.
      Your therapy comments are spot on. I wished I had done it sooner, but at the end of the day, what has happened has happened and it is just good to be moving forward. I hope all is well in your part of the world and take care of yourself.

      Delete
  6. Reorganizing is important! Especially if it means fitting in a chair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheila. I agree! It also separates out my work stuff from my personal stuff. I took the last bits of my work minis out and put them in my cutting room with all the rest of the work stuff. It is great to have a calm spot to sit.

      Delete
  7. Shannon, I'm glad that you are in a better place emotionally. I was just thinking today that I'm going to take out some very fine yarn to crochet or knit dollhouse toys. Years ago, I bought some from a miniature artist and I thought to myself, 'I will never be able to do that'. Now, it's just a matter of getting the tools and the time together. Whether it's minis or real life issues, we grow all the time even without realizing.
    I'm fascinated by your tiny dolls. Are they porcelain? I looked up Jean Pardina and found porcelain molds. If I can find some pre-made dolls, I will invest in them. The acrylic painting is gorgeous and much more life-like than China painting. I think you've done a swell job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Megan. I was the same - I bought some tiny knitted things and then decided it was something I really wanted to get better at. And with practice I am, and more importantly enjoying it. If it helps, I bought piano/music wire, cut it into short lengths and filed the ends using my dremel then sandpaper. Much cheaper than buying them and just as effective. I do have some of the dolls to sell and will try to write a blog post soon. They are made with air dry slip which I then coated in linseed oil and baked, which makes them harder. Not perfect but cheaper than a kiln!

      Delete
  8. Hi Shannon! It looks as though you are making good progress on the French house. I am always surprised at what I do a better job at making once I have slowed down and taken the time to let the ideas grow and the skills improve. Yes, we are always growing and learning new things! Cutting piano wire for mini needles sounds like a genius idea! (Someday I will try mini knitting!) That's the thing about being in this hobby... there are no end of things we want to learn to do and make for ourselves... an endless process of learning and trying and sharing new ideas! What fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Betsy. Agreed 100% on letting ideas form. A careers guy once told me that sometimes you have to stop, change tack and step right out of your norm to have new ideas fall into your head. He is right. And there is so much information out there available to us, the possibilities are almost endless.take care! X

    ReplyDelete